Monday, August 27, 2007

Talk to yourself

Jerry Smith is a personal coach, and I read his blog when he does it!

Here is his latest post:Excuses, excuses

It made me think of another crossover between sports training and "training" for running your business.

There is an idea in training that if you know you are going to have to miss a day of training, then you should drop your hardest day that week. The idea is that you should not skip a recovery day, as those are the days that your body must have in order to grow stronger.

This, of course, runs counter to what most people would do.

To take this idea into the business realm, give yourself time to recover. Often you CAN push through a little fatigue and go to that networking group. However, if you are honestly out of energy, instead of dropping your recovery time, drop your "hard day." Then the next time that "hard day" comes around, realize it ahead of time, schedule it better, and execute.

By the way, Jerry, do you still want me to cover for you this Wednesday at that networking group?

1 comment:

Jerry Smith said...

Thanks for your comment Toby. I still need you to cover for me but it is on Sept 12th so at least I am scehduling!

There are so many parallels between sport and busines. I take your point about scheduling and deciding whether to push through fatigue. Sometimes, it really isn't in our best interests to do something due to illness, fatigue etc.

If you can honestly say that is the reason for not doing something, then I think that's fine. As I say - look honestly at your decision and decide if it is an excuse or not!