Monday, February 25, 2008

Finishers Look for Subtraction

Here at the Finisher's Blog, I try to observe and report what makes people great "finishers" in their chosen fields / areas. Then I try to connect those observations to business work...sales work...marketing work.

This week's observation is counter intuitive and a lot of people don't want to try it.

Great Finisher's subtract stuff from their list without apology.

(Here comes this week's Seth Godin Moment)...

Read The Dip...Seth's great book about when to quit and when to stick. He recently blogged about this idea HERE.

The idea is that you have to become the BEST in the world...and you get to define how broad your "world" is. In his blog post, he says that means you have to eliminate all the "a little of this...and a little of that" stuff. Be strict.

Great Finishers...whether they are in sports, in sales, in business or in real estate... SUBTRACT the stuff that is keeping them from being the best.

Addition by subtraction is not a new idea...but applying it to your day and applying it to your business WILL help with finishing.

What can you subtract this week?

Click HERE to see our SUBTRACTION CHALLENGE.

1 comment:

Jerry Smith said...

Ok Tob, here is the subtraction challenge response. For me it is not so much of a subtraction as a focus issue.
I need to know why I am meeting people - it's that simple. I love talking to people and I'm fascinated to hear their stories. That is reward in itself but sometimes I am shooting the breeze with folks and potentially not helping them. So, I will take meetings when we both understand the agenda and how we might help each other.